Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My computer is going through a Crysis

Ahh.. Crysis, the time finally arrived. Here's the lowdown on Crysis. Basically you're this marine with a killer nanosuit. The suit allows you to modify you to pool your suits energy into one of four different abilities.

  • Super Strength
  • Super Speed
  • Cloaking
  • Increased Armor
Now the hype behind this game is the freedom you'll have within the missions, the size of the game space, the great physics and realism, and the beautiful graphics.

First off let me say, the game looks absolutely amazing.. too bad you can't play it like that.

My computer isn't the latest or the greatest, but it plays most of the games out there including call of duty 4 fairly well.

AMD X2 3800+ Overclocked to 2.5GHZ
2GB PC3200 Ram
nVidia 7800 GT CO Also overclocked.

I cannot play this game on medium settings over 1024x768 without it being totally unplayable (under 10FPS) On the upside I can play it at 1680x1050 at low settings and it still looks pretty good (not as good as call of duty 4).

The size of the levels are ridiculous and you can pretty much approach each mission any way you want. The problem with games like this is they are never truly open ended as you can only advance after you've completed dedicated missions in each level. There are side intelligence missions that make your primary mission easier, and they usually involve finding some computer and downloading some data. Level design I have to say is pretty good. There was only 1 time that I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing but I kinda figured it out.

The enemy AI is kind of smart, and kind of stupid, if that makes any sense. The Korean soldiers are often easily tricked, as you can run straight at them, hit cloak and they'll pretty much forget that you were directly in front of them and wander off in the bushes to find you. The Aliens were much more aggressive and seemed a bit more intelligent.

Weapon selection was pretty nice and the whole customize your weapon thing was pretty neat, but I didn't find myself using it for anything other than the silencer and scope, and sometimes the occasional flashlight.

In the end, the game was pretty fun to play and had some amazing moments that made me go " Wow.. I can't believe that just happened! " It was longer than Call of Duty 4 but I don't feel right now that the multi player is as good as Call of Duty 4.

Pro's:
  • Beautiful Graphics
  • Excellent Level Design
  • Great Weapon Selection
  • Abundance of Vehicles
  • Good AI
Con's:
  • Super High System Hog
  • Multi player isn't very satisfying

No comments: